News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Rex Murphy: How are Alberta and Quebec treated differently? Let me count the ways

Started by cc, December 17, 2021, 12:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-how-are-alberta-and-quebec-treated-differently-let-me-count-the-ways">Rex Murphy: How are Alberta and Quebec treated differently? Let me count the ways

Citizens of Alberta will find this a convenient tip sheet for when they attend their next protest

https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.digital/nationalpost/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Alberta-protest.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=472&h=354&type=webp">

A woman takes part in a pro-pipeline rally outside the Alberta legislature in Edmonton in a file photo from April 12, 2018. The Trudeau Liberals go to great lengths to preserve jobs in Quebec, but not so in Alberta, writes Rex Murphy.

As a public service I have herein drawn up a concise — some might even say terse — table of the most explicit contrasts between Alberta and Quebec.

There is nothing new here, but as an aid to easy reference and quick digestion it is my hope it will prove of some utility.

• Alberta signed the Canadian Constitution. Quebec did not sign the Canadian Constitution.

• Quebec believes it can amend the Constitution even if it affects other provinces. Alberta accepts that it can't.

• Quebec can import oil from Saudi Arabia. Alberta can export oil from Canada only with great difficulty.

• Quebec regularly sends a band of separatist politicians to the national Parliament. Alberta hasn't started doing that. Yet.

• And the most significant contrast: Quebec is a nation. Alberta is a province (so far).

• Quebec is a recipient of federal equalization money. Alberta is a giver of federal equalization money.

• In Quebec the federal government does all it can to help that province's economy. Jobs. Jobs. Jobs. (See SNC-Lavalin.) In Alberta the frequently proclaimed goal of the federal government is to shut down the province's largest industry, and until that is accomplished, to box in its resources and carbon-tax the living daylights out of them.

[size=120]Quebec is a nation. Alberta is a province (so far)[/size]

Now let us go on to more narrow territory, a particular. Quebec can and has reassigned a teacher for wearing a hijab. It has created quite a storm because this action is seen as discrimination on the grounds of religion.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wishes to remain out of this battle, off the field, a spectator.

On this differential, here are the prime minister's words: While he is "deeply" opposed to Bill 21, his government "won't step into the legal challenge taking place in Quebec in order to avoid triggering a fight with the province over jurisdiction."
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

Allowing the above for his favorite Quebec which does NOT allow religious symbols While remaining clear of Federal interference

Speculative — a Scenario)

Alberta reassigns a teacher for wearing a hijab.

Trudeau calls in the army, every human rights commission in the country, appeals to the UN, launches a countrywide tour to condemn the "anti-Islamic tactic," and pleads with the International Court at the Hague to intervene.

(Still speculative, but pretty sure the following are the words he would say.)

The prime minister says he is "deeply" opposed to Alberta's Bill 21, that this action cannot not take place "in the Canada I lead, and where all Canadians agree with me that diversity is our greatest strength."

His government will be leading the legal challenge taking place "to trigger a fight with Alberta over this entirely regressive and shameful action."

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=431180 time=1639761789 user_id=88
Rex Murphy]

Citizens of Alberta will find this a convenient tip sheet for when they attend their next protest

https://smartcdn.prod.postmedia.digital/nationalpost/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Alberta-protest.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=472&h=354&type=webp">

A woman takes part in a pro-pipeline rally outside the Alberta legislature in Edmonton in a file photo from April 12, 2018. The Trudeau Liberals go to great lengths to preserve jobs in Quebec, but not so in Alberta, writes Rex Murphy.

As a public service I have herein drawn up a concise — some might even say terse — table of the most explicit contrasts between Alberta and Quebec.

There is nothing new here, but as an aid to easy reference and quick digestion it is my hope it will prove of some utility.

• Alberta signed the Canadian Constitution. Quebec did not sign the Canadian Constitution.

• Quebec believes it can amend the Constitution even if it affects other provinces. Alberta accepts that it can't.

• Quebec can import oil from Saudi Arabia. Alberta can export oil from Canada only with great difficulty.

• Quebec regularly sends a band of separatist politicians to the national Parliament. Alberta hasn't started doing that. Yet.

• And the most significant contrast: Quebec is a nation. Alberta is a province (so far).

• Quebec is a recipient of federal equalization money. Alberta is a giver of federal equalization money.

• In Quebec the federal government does all it can to help that province's economy. Jobs. Jobs. Jobs. (See SNC-Lavalin.) In Alberta the frequently proclaimed goal of the federal government is to shut down the province's largest industry, and until that is accomplished, to box in its resources and carbon-tax the living daylights out of them.

Pierre Trudeau used to say screw the West, I'll take the rest. His son carries on that nation breaking strategy.

Anonymous

I liked a skit Rick Mercer did many moons ago comparing Quebec to a spoiled child that needs a spanking.

Anonymous

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-how-are-alberta-and-quebec-treated-differently-let-me-count-the-ways">Rex Murphy: How are Alberta and Quebec treated differently? Let me count the ways

Old Rex is my boy. :thumbup:

Anonymous

Quote from: Herman post_id=431251 time=1639815816 user_id=1689
Rex Murphy]

Old Rex is my boy. :thumbup:

I enjoy his editorials too.

Bricktop

There are in fact very few nations that consist of a federation of States. The US, Canada and Australia come immediately to mind, but no others.

A lot of countries have provinces or regions that have some independent government, but these are more local councils that actual sovereign and independent States.

It seems to be that the glue that holds these Federations together is rapidly deteriorating. States are bound to Federations voluntarily, unlike most other forms of distributed government.

The plague has demonstrated to Australians that this system of governance is antiquated and no longer effective in a modern world. States may be faced with choices unthinkable decades ago. Either dissolve States into a single level of government, or secede. Secession is looking more and more appealing to many.

cc

Yes, Rex is "The Man"  :thumbup:

Thanks for that info Brick. The plague has opened up new questions for sure

We have Quebec who gets "special" treatment / privilege's which of course has never sat well with the rest of us .. and the dissent is increasing now.

Feds quite realistic  fear of loosing votes (= power) from our 2nd largest Province is the only thing that keeps this farce going.

What is not realistic is for other Provinces  to like this

Anonymous

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431273 time=1639865517 user_id=1560
 Secession is looking more and more appealing to many.

It sure is in North America. I don't know about Australia. In the case of Canada, we have one province, possibly two that are being forced out.

Bricktop

Because of our low population, secession is only viable for 2, maybe 3 of our States. The others have too few people to drive an effective economy.

The two largest States, Victoria and New South Wales seem comfortable with the status quo, but have enough population that they could conceivably merge into a single sovereign nation, with Queensland a possible addition, creating a single nation along Australia's east coast. This would then draw Tasmania into that collation as well. Canberra will be absorbed into New South Wales.

That would leave the vast and largely inhabitable central and western States to survive on their own. With a combined total of about 3 million people in what would be the largest sections of the country (well over half the geographical dimensions of the continent) they simply wouldn't survive.

cc

Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431283 time=1639875538 user_id=1560
That would leave the vast and largely inhabitable central and western States to survive on their own. With a combined total of about 3 million people in what would be the largest sections of the country (well over half the geographical dimensions of the continent) they simply wouldn't survive.

That makes a lot of sense. The area is huge and I assume not wealthy

We had 2 close calls with Quebec ... and I was hoping hard that they would choose to leave .. last was a fractional fail & the only thing that even kept it close was massive cash from outsiders, massive invasion of many politicians c/w great cash promises and other celebs begging / "selling" staying in the country  .. even then It was a "whisker" finale ... dang!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=431288 time=1639876529 user_id=88
Quote from: Bricktop post_id=431283 time=1639875538 user_id=1560

That makes a lot of sense. The area is huge and I assume not wealthy

I thought Western Australia had vast mineral wealth and unlike Canada, it's development is not being blocked. Perhaps Bricktop will enlighten us(me).

cc

If that is so, remember what the Feds have done to provincial natural assets here forcing them to leave the assets in the ground so long as begrudging  unity prevails

Yes, Brick knows more of the lay of the land

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=431293 time=1639876995 user_id=88
If that is so, remember what the Feds have done to provincial natural assets here forcing them to leave the assets in the ground so long as begrudging  unity prevails

Yes, Brick knows more of the lay of the land

Bills C-48 and C-69 are basically Alberta can't develop it's resources bills. We are forcing that province into poverty or to secede. Ontarians would never tolerate Ottawa undermining us like that.

cc

Good point. The repercussions would affect and pee off Ontarians

Lose lose for them